Thursday, September 20, 2012

Ten Best Places to Eat in Dayton

    Some say that Ohio is a true representative of America.  In politics, we know how Ohio goes so do most Presidential elections.  Indeed it is true that Ohio is an absolute melting pot.  Well, just as Ohio has a huge and wonderful mixture of people, so too does Ohio have a great mixture of wonderful places to eat.  Today (speaking of melting pots) I present to you the (first three of the) 10 best places to eat in Dayton:

10.  Linh’s

4770 Airway Rd
DaytonOH 45431




Here is a sample review:
 "It's difficult to find anything authentic as far as cuisine in Dayton. I've been going to this place with my family for years, and I love it.  It's a small little place located right next to an Asian grocery store, so keep your eye out; the location isn't crazy obvious. Being close to an Air Force base, be sure to get there EARLY for lunch if you want to get a seat and beat the rush. Otherwise, be prepared to wait, inside or out. The restaurant itself is quite small, so it gets a little crowded at times.  If I had anything bad to say about their food... I'd have to comment on their selection of herb s and greens as far as the condiments for the pho, and inside their soft rolls as well. It seems as though they've completely omitted using basil. Mommy wasn't happy.  All in all, definitely try it out! You won't be disappointed.”

I would agree with this review and add that while it is a “hole in the wall” type restaurant...the food is great, and it is truly authentic.  Definitely a must if you work or live anywhere near WPAFB.

9.  Mama Disalvo’s


1375 E. Stroop Rd.
Kettering Ohio 45440






Here is a sample review:
"In Dayton, there are only 2 places to get good Italian, and the last time I was in town, the other one was closed down.  I don't know if the other place ever reopened in a new location, but Mama DiSalvos was still going strong when I was there.

I first went to Mamas in the 70s, and ate there regularly through the 90s, when I moved out of the country for a time.  I've been back every time I'm in town.  It's still the same great place, though last time I was there I'm pretty sure the boys are running it now instead of Mama.

Everything is good there but the one thing I ALWAYS try to get every time I go there is the Eggplant Sub.  I thought it was incredibly weird the first time I saw it on the menu, but . . . it was instant Nirvana! . . .

The place is small and tends to get crowded, but it is worth the visit.  If there's one thing I miss about the area, it is Mama DiSalvos.  Long may they rule!"


I love Mama Disalvo’s because it is true Italian.  A great selection and having been to Italy, I can say it is authentic.  Try it -- you’ll love it.

8.  El Toro

Various locations around Dayton











      I have to admit that I was hesitant to put this on the list because it is a semi-formidable chain, but as far as Mexican restaurants go it is not bad.  The food is inexpensive.  The portions are huge.  The wait staff is very attentive...and we seem to eat there a lot.  You might disagree with my selection of El Toro, but as far as a family friendly restaurant goes -- this one is right up there.  We go to the one on Indian Ripple Road in Beavercreek.

More selections to come tomorrow.  Enjoy!

And as always if you would like to comment about anything on this blog -- I welcome your input.

No comments:

Post a Comment